BUILT: Brownsville, Pennsylvania, 1892 as the Lyde H.
FORMERLY: Lyde H.
FINAL DISPOSITION: Cut down by ice at the Mt. Vernon, Indiana water works, 7:00 p.m., January 5, 1918
OWNERS: Clarington and Wheeling Packet Company: Thad Thomas, George Urpman, and others (1896?, 1898?); Captain Oscar Webster (1898); Captain J. Mack Gamble and others (1899, 1906); John Hyer and Sam Williamson; Captain W. H. Smith and others, Marietta, Ohio (1906); John W. Hubbard (1914); R. W. Emerson and Roy Hitner (1915)
OFFICERS & CREW: Captain Earn Clark (master, prior to 1898); O. J. Webster (master, 1898), Leroy M. Webster (clerk, 1898); Captain Mike Davis (master, prior to 1906); Captain W. H. Smith (master, 1906); Captain John W. Beaver (master, February 1908); Ashley Foster (chief engineer, 1915)
RIVERS: Ohio River; Muskingum River; Monongahela River; Kanawha River
OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - 3013, T1368; Around 1896 the Clarington and Wheeling Packet Company bought the Lyde H. and renamed her Jewel at the urging of Captain Earn Clark, who had piloted the boat of the same name on the lower Ohio. Next owner, Captain Oscar Webster, ran her in Muskingum River, Lowell-Zanesville, 1897-1898, then briefly Gallipolis-Charleston. In April 1899 she was sold to Captain J. Mack Gamble and others for the Wheeling-Clarington run. John Hyer and Sam Williamson bought her for Newport-Wheeling; later J. Mack Gamble had her in this trade, with Captain Mike Davis, master. In 1903 she again was in Muskingum River trade, Lowell-Zanesville, Captain Oscar Webster. In 1906 J. Mack Gamble rebuilt her completely at Clarington, and she was sold to Captain W. H. Smith and others in local upper Ohio packet trade. While laid up for ice at Marietta, Ohio at the mouth of the Muskingum, she sank on February 8, 1908, Captain John W. Beaver, master. She was able to be salvaged after the February 18th flood waters fell. She was the first to lock through Lock No. 13, Ohio River, September, 1909. She ran on the Monongahela River to replace the Columbia in fall of 1909. In 1914 John Hubbard, Pittsburgh, ran her Pittsburgh-East Liverpool, evening runs for theater goers. In 1915 she was sold to R. W. Emerson and Roy Hitner to tow the showboat Cotton Blossom, Captain Otto Hitner. While so engaged, she was cut down by ice in January 1918