Search the Catalog
Moss Hart and Kitty Carlisle papers, 1922-1962, 1988Login to Save
SubjectsA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
- Abbott, George, 1887-1995.
- Atkinson, Brooks, 1894-1984.
- Barton, Bruce, 1886-1967.
- Baruch, Bernard M. 1870-1965. (Bernard Mannes),
- Beaton, Cecil, 1904-1980.
- Behrman, S. N. 1893-1973. (Samuel Nathaniel),
- Bernstein, Leonard, 1918-1990.
- Bohrod, Aaron.
- Capote, Truman, 1924-1984.
- Cerf, Bennett, 1898-1971.
- Choate, Edward.
- Chodorov, Jerome.
- Colbert, Claudette.
- Cronyn, Hume.
- Crouse, Russel, 1893-1966.
- Cukor, George, 1899-1983.
- Duchin, Eddie.
- Fontanne, Lynn.
- Gershwin, George, 1898-1937.
- Gershwin, Ira, 1896-1983.
- Gielgud, John, 1904-2000.
- Goodson, Mark.
- Hammerstein, Oscar, II, 1895-1960.
- Harrison, Rex.
- Hayward, Leland, 1902-1971.
- Hellman, Lillian, 1905-1984.
- Kaufman, George S. 1889-1961. (George Simon),
- Kazan, Elia.
- Kern, Jerome, 1885-1945.
- Kerr, Jean.
- Kober, Arthur, 1900-1975.
- Lerner, Alan Jay, 1918-1986.
- Lewis, Sinclair, 1885-1951.
- Lindsay, Howard, 1889-1968.
- Luce, Henry Robinson, 1898-1967.
- Lumet, Sidney, 1924-2011.
- Lunt, Alfred.
- March, Fredric, 1897-1975.
- Myerberg, Michael.
- Olivier, Laurence, 1907-1989.
- Osborne, John, 1929-1994.
- Porter, Cole, 1891-1964.
- Quayle, Anthony, 1913-1989.
- Robbins, Jerome.
- Rubin, Morris Harold, 1911-
- Ruby, Harry.
- Sherwood, Robert E. 1896-1955. (Robert Emmet),
- Shumlin, Herman, 1898-1979.
- Sibelius, Jean, 1865-1957.
- Silvers, Phil, 1911-1985.
- Stevenson, Adlai E. 1900-1965. (Adlai Ewing),
- Williams, Emlyn, 1905-1987.
- Hart, Moss, 1904-1961. Act one.
- Act one (Motion picture)
- American way (Play)
- Christopher Blake (Play)
- Climate of Eden (Play)
- Eddie Duchin story (Motion picture)
- Gentleman's agreement (Motion picture)
- George Washington slept here (Play)
- Jubilee (Play)
- Lady in the dark (Play)
- Light up the sky (Play)
- Man who came to dinner (Play)
- Merrily we roll along (Play)
- My fair lady (Play)
- Once in a lifetime (Play)
- Person to person (Television program)
- Star is born (Motion picture : 1954)
- Winged victory (Play)
- You can't take it with you (Play)
- Academy Awards (Motion pictures)
- Voyages around the world.
- Women in the theater.
Content TypesA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Format Mixed Materials; Microforms; Videos, Slides, Films; Sound Recordings
- 7.0 c.f. (17 archives boxes, 1 flat box, and 1 package)
- 3 reels of microfilm (35 mm)
- 4 tape recordings, and
- 2 films
- OCLC ocn173704833, ocn173692573
- Papers of Moss Hart (1904-1961) and Kitty Carlisle (1910-2007), a noted playwright-director and his wife, an actress and television personality. Their combined correspondence, 1935-1960, includes some business mail, fan letters, and personal correspondence from George Abbott, Brooks Atkinson, Bernard Baruch, Bruce Barton, Cecil Beaton, S. N. Behrman, Irving Berlin, Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Bohrod, Truman Capote, Bennett Cerf, Edward Choate, Jerome Chodorov, Claudette Colbert, Hume Cronyn, Russel Crouse, George Cukor, Edna Ferber, Judy Garland, George Gershwin, Sir John Gielgud, Mark Goodson, Oscar Hammerstein II, Rex Harrison, Leland Hayward, Lillian Hellman, George S. Kaufman, Elia Kazan, Jerome Kern, Jean Kerr, Arthur Kober, Alan J. Lerner, Sinclair Lewis, Howard Lindsay, Joshua Logan, Henry R. Luce, Sidney Lumet, Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, Fredric March, Michael Myerberg, Sir Laurence Olivier, John Osborne, Cole Porter, Anthony Quayle, Jerome Robbins, Morris Rubin, Harry Ruby, Robert E. Sherwood, Herman Shumlin, Jean Sibelius, Phil Silvers, Adlai E. Stevenson, Theodore H. White, Emlyn Williams, and other prominent individuals.
- Manuscript and published copies of Hart's major works, some of which were written in collaboration with George S. Kaufman and Irving Berlin, include the plays "The American Way" (1939), "Christopher Blake" (1946), "The Climate of Eden" (1952), "George Washington Slept Here" (1940), "Jubilee" (1935), "Lady in the Dark" (1941), "Light Up the Sky" (1948), "The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1939), "Merrily We Roll Along" (1934), "Once in a Lifetime" (1930), "You Can't Take It With You" (1936), and "Winged Victory" (1943); the motion pictures "The Eddie Duchin Story" (Col., 1954), "Gentleman's Agreement" (20th Century-Fox, 1947), and "A Star is Born" (Warner Bros., 1954); and his autobiography "Act One" (1959).
- There is also a script for "My Fair Lady" (1956), which Hart directed on Broadway. For several of the above titles there are also notes, business records, clippings, and photographs. Of more personal interest are two diaries, the first kept by Hart during a world trip in 1935 while he wrote "Jubilee," and the second a journal of his theatrical activities and personal life during 1953 and 1954.
- Related to Kitty Carlisle's stage and screen career are clipping scrapbooks, 1932-1946 (on microfilm), photographs, and a draft version of her autobiography "Kitty" (1988).
- On film are the Harts' appearances at the 1961 Academy Award ceremonies and on "Person to Person" (CBS) in 1959. The tape recordings concern a 1960 discussion of Broadway musicals between Hart and Brooks Atkinson.
- The films in this collection also are being cataloged individually.
- Portions are available only on microfilm.
- Presented by Moss Hart and Kitty Carlisle, New York, New York, 1961-1988; portions presented by Joseph Hyman, New York, New York, 1962.
Related Electronic Resources
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.