Elsa Smithgall [and four others] ; with a foreword by D. Frederick Baker
Washington, D.C. : The Phillips Collection ; New Haven ; London : in association with Yale University Press,  ©2016
- xix, 227 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits (chiefly color) ; 29 cm
- The history of modern art owes a great debt to William Merritt Chase (1849-1916), one of America's influential artists and educators. Chase was a leading member of the international artistic avant-garde and was best known for his mastery of a wide range of subjects in oil and pastel, including figures, landscapes, urban park scenes, interiors, and portraits. As a teacher and founder of the Shinnecock Summer School of Art and the New York School of Art, Chase mentored a new generation of modernists, including Edward Hopper, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Joseph Stella. A century after his death, the breadth and richness of Chase's career are celebrated in this beautifully illustrated publication. Five essays by prominent scholars of American art offer new insights into Chase's multi-faceted artistic practice and his position in the international cultural climate at the turn of the 20th century.
- In association with Yale University Press.
- William Merritt Chase was organized by The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C.; the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia, Venice; and the Terra Foundation for American Art.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., June 4-September 11, 2016 ; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, October 9, 2016-January 16, 2017 ; Ca' Pesaro-Galleria internazionale d'arte moderna, Venice, February 11-May 28, 2017.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 214-216) and index.
- From rebel to crusader : William Merritt Chase and the making of a modern master / Elsa Smithgall -- Old masters meet new women / Erica E. Hirshler -- The performative teaching of William Merritt Chase / Katherine M. Bourguignon -- William Merritt Chase's international style / John Davis -- From Venice to Venice : Chase in Italy / Giovanna Ginex -- Catalogue of works -- Chronology
- Shortcut help message
- Highlight search box
- Close dialog
Available in search results
- Next page
- Previous page
- Toggle filters
- Open nth result on page