Search the Catalog
Papers, 1918-1958Login to Save
SubjectsA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
- Allen, Fred, 1894-1956.
- Ames, Winthrop, 1870-1937.
- Arliss, George, 1868-1946.
- Belmont, Eleanor Robson, 1879-1979.
- Connelly, Marc, 1890-1980.
- Damrosch, Walter, 1862-1950.
- Davies, Joseph Edward.
- Davis, Robert H.
- Dreiser, Theodore, 1871-1945.
- Farley, James A. 1888-1976. (James Aloysius),
- Goetz, Ruth.
- Hopkins, Arthur, 1878-1950.
- Kahn, Otto H., 1867-1934.
- MacGrath, Leueen.
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977.
- Marx, Harpo, 1888-1964.
- Menjou, Adolphe, 1890-1963.
- Ryskind, Morrie, 1895-1985.
- Saroyan, William, 1908-1981.
- Smith, Alfred Emanuel, 1873-1944.
- Steinbeck, John, 1902-1968.
- Stimson, Henry L. 1867-1950. (Henry Lewis),
- Tarkington, Booth, 1869-1946.
- Teichmann, Howard.
- Villard, Oswald Garrison, 1872-1949.
- White, William Allen, 1868-1944.
- Woollcott, Alexander, 1887-1943.
Content TypesA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Format Mixed Materials; Microforms
- 0.8 c.f. (2 archives boxes) and
- 4 reels of microfilm (35mm)
- Papers of a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright-director, consisting primarily of correspondence, scripts, and microfilmed biographical scrapbooks. The correspondence contains originals or copies of letters from Fred Allen, Winthrop Ames, George Arliss, Eleanor Belmont, Walter Damrosch, Joseph E. Davies, Robert H. Davis, Theodore Dreiser, James A. Farley, Arthur Hopkins, Otto Kahn, Groucho and Harpo Marx, Adolphe Menjou, William Saroyan, Alfred E. Smith, Henry L. Stimson, John Steinbeck, Booth Tarkington, Oswald Garrison Villard, William Allen White, Alexander Woollcott, and others. There are scripts (some annotated) for seventeen produced and unproduced titles for stage, screen, and television including "The Butter and Egg Man" (1925), "The Late George Apley" (1944), "The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1939), and several other plays on which Kaufman collaborated with Marc Connelly, Ruth Goodman Goetz, Leueen MacGrath, Morrie Ryskind, Howard Teichmann, and other playwrights.
- The remainder of the collection consists of miscellany such as notes pertaining to "Of Thee I Sing" (1931), and scrapbooks (available on microfilm) of clippings concerning "Dulcy" (1921), "The Man Who Came to Dinner," "The Senator Was Discreet," and other productions, 1912-1939. One letter pertains to Howard Teichmann's biography of Kaufman.
- This collection is also available on microfilm.
- Portions of this collection are available only on microfilm.
- Placed on deposit by Mrs. Irving Schneider, New York, N.Y., 1961.
Related Electronic Resources
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.