Search the Catalog
MLA style manual and guide to scholarly publishingLogin to Save
SubjectsA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Content TypesA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Format Books
- Publication Third edition. New York : Modern Language Association of America, 2008.
- xxiv, 336 pages ; 24 cm
- ISBNs 9780873522977, 0873522974, 9780873522984, 0873522982
- OCLC ocn191090459
- Rev. ed. of: MLA style manual and guide to scholarly publishing / Joseph Gibaldi. 2nd ed. 1998.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword / Domna C. Stanton -- Preface / David G. Nicholls -- 1. Scholarly publishing. Scholars and scholarly publishing -- Refereed and nonrefereed publications -- Deciding to submit a manuscript -- Placing a manuscript with a journal. Scholarly journals ; Types of scholarly articles ; Selecting a journal ; Submitting a manuscript to a journal ; Evaluation of a manuscript ; Acceptance of a manuscript -- Placing a manuscript with a press. Scholarly presses ; Types of scholarly books ; Selecting a press ; Submitting a prospectus for a book ; Submitting a manuscript to a press ; Evaluation of a manuscript ; Acceptance of a manuscript -- Production and publication. Copyediting ; Proofreading ; Preparing an index ; Design ; Composition, printing, binding, electronic production ; Marketing -- Conclusion -- 2. Legal issues in scholarly publishing. Introduction -- Copyright. Development of copyright law in the United States ; Subject matter of copyright ; Ownership of copyright ; Co-ownership of copyright ; Works made for hire ; Material objects ; Term of copyright ; Registration of copyright ; Copyright notice ; Renewal of copyright ; Rights of copyright owners ; Transfers and terminations ; Fair use of copyrighted works ; Requesting permission ; Damages for copyright infringement and attorney's fees ; International copyright ; Copyright and computer networks -- Publishing Contracts. Books ; Journal articles and contributions to edited works -- Defamation. Libel ; Opinion ; Truth as defense ; Actual malice -- Right of privacy. Emergence of privacy law ; Unreasonable publicity of private life ; Publicity placing another in a false light ; Consent as defense -- Further guidance -- 3. Basics of scholarly writing. Audience, genre, and the conventions of scholarship -- Language and style -- Spelling. Consistency and choice of spelling ; Word division ; Plurals ; Accents ; Umlauts ; Ligatures and other special characters -- Punctuation. Purpose of punctuation ; Commas ; Semicolons ; Colons ; Dashes and parentheses ; Hyphens ; Apostrophes ; Quotation marks ; Square brackets ; Slashes ; Periods, question marks, and exclamation points ; Spacing after concluding punctuation marks -- Italics. Words and letters referred to as words and letters ; Foreign words in an English text ; Emphasis -- Names of persons. First and subsequent uses of names ; Titles of persons ; Names of authors and fictional characters ; Dutch and German names ; French names ; Greek names ; Hungarian names ; Italian names ; Russian names ; Spanish names ; Latin names ; Asian names ; Names in other languages -- Capitalization. English ; French ; German ; Italian ; Portuguese ; Russian ; Spanish ; Latin ; Other languages -- Titles of works in the manuscript. General guidelines ; Italicized titles ; Titles in quotation marks ; Titles and quotations within titles ; Exceptions ; Shortened titles -- Quotations. Accuracy of quotations ; Prose ; Poetry ; Drama ; Ellipsis ; Other alterations of sources ; Punctuation with quotations ; Translations of quotations -- Numbers. Arabic numerals ; Use of words or numerals ; Commas in numbers ; Percentages and amounts of money ; Dates and times of the day ; Inclusive numbers ; Roman numerals -- Romanization -- Further guidance --
- 4. Preparation of scholarly manuscripts. Introduction -- Physical characteristics of the printed manuscript. Divisions of the text ; Margins ; Text formatting ; Title and author's name ; Page numbers ; Tables and illustrations ; Paper and printing ; Corrections and revisions ; Binding -- Manuscripts for publication -- 5. Preparation of theses and dissertations. Student works as professional documents -- Prescribed guidelines -- Selecting a topic -- Preparing a prospectus -- Special format requirements. Theses and dissertations as published works ; Divisions of the text ; Page numbers ; Margins ; Spacing ; Binding of print copies ; Submission of electronic files -- Publishing the dissertation through ProQuest. Terms of agreement ; Abstract ; Copyright ; Permissions -- 6. Documentation: preparating the list of works cited. The purposes of documentation -- Documentation and ethics -- MLA style -- The list of works cited. Introduction ; Placement of the list of works cited ; Arrangement of entries ; Two or more works by the same author ; Two or more works by the same authors ; Cross-references -- Citing periodical print publications. Introduction ; An article in a scholarly journal ; An article in a scholarly journal that uses only issue numbers ; An article in a scholarly journal with more than one series ; An article in a newspaper ; An article in a magazine ; A review ; An abstract in an abstracts journal ; An anonymous article ; An editorial ; A letter to the editor ; A serialized article ; A special issue -- Citing nonperiodical print publications. Introduction ; A book by a single author ; An anthology or a compilation ; A book by two or more authors ; A book by a corporate author ; A work in an anthology ; An article in a reference book ; An introduction, a preface, a foreword, or an afterword ; An anonymous book ; A scholarly edition ; A translation ; An illustrated book or a graphic narrative ; A book published in a second or subsequent edition ; A multivolume work ; A book in a series ; A republished book or journal issue ; A publisher's imprint ; A book with multiple publishers ; A brochure, pamphlet, or press release ; A government publication ; The published proceedings of a conference ; A book in a language other than English ; A book published before 1900 ; A book without stated publication ; Information or pagination ; An unpublished dissertation ; A published dissertation -- Citing web publications. Introduction ; A nonperiodical publication ; A scholarly journal ; A periodical publication in an online database -- Citing additional common sources. A television or radio broadcast ; A sound recording ; A film or a video recording ; A performance ; A musical score ; A work of visual art ; An interview ; A map or chart ; A cartoon or comic strip ; An advertisement ; A lecture, a speech, an address, or a reading ; A manuscript or typescript ; A letter, a memo, or an e-mail message ; A legal source ; An article in a microform collection of articles ; An article reprinted in a loose-leaf collection of articles ; A publication on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM ; A digital file -- A work in more than one publication medium -- 7. Documentation: citing sources in the text. Parenthetical documentation and the list of works cited -- Information required in parenthetical documentation -- Readability -- Sample references. Citing an entire work, including a work with no page numbers ; Citing part of a work ; Citing volume and page numbers of a multivolume work ; Citing a work listed by title ; Citing a work by a corporate author ; Citing two or more works by the same author or authors ; Citing indirect sources ; Citing common literature ; Citing more than one work in a single parenthetical reference ; Citing a book with signatures and no page numbers -- Using notes with parenthetical documentation. Content notes ; Bibliographic notes -- 8. Abbreviations. Introduction -- Time designations -- Geographic names -- Common scholarly abbreviations and reference words -- Publishers' names -- Titles of works. Bible ; Works by Shakespeare ; Works by Chaucer ; Other works -- Names of languages -- Proofreading symbols. Symbols used in the text ; Symbols used in the margin ; Sample marked proof -- Appendix: Specialized style manuals -- Sources of Examples in 3.4-5
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.