Holy Family Hospital in Manitowoc, Wisconsin as it would have appeared during the World War II years. This view, which shows bare trees and scattered snow on the ground, was taken from the intersection of South 23rd and Wollmer Streets looking across Western Avenue to the south facade of the hospital. Western Avenue runs parallel to the hospital. On the right is the original hospital building, dating from 1898. This section was modernized in the late 1940s (after this picture was taken) and eventually was torn down, with the last part—a kitchen—razed in 1983. On the left is a hundred-bed "west wing" which was added in 1929. This was demolished in 1984 to make way for new construction. During World War II Holy Family Hospital trained local women to become nurses’ aides, started a Nurse Cadet Corps, and sent 38 of its graduate nurses to serve in the armed forces. Photograph loaned by Holy Family Memorial Medical Center.