Visual display of the Pilot (Rafter/Towboat/Excursion, 1882-1903)

Pilot (Rafter/Towboat/Excursion, 1882-1903)

  • BOAT DESCRIPTION: Sternwheel
  • BOAT TYPE: Rafter/Towboat/Excursion
  • BUILT: by D.F. Duncan, 1882 at Le Claire, Iowa using machinery from the Wild Boy
  • BECAME: Peerless
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Remade into the Peerless in 1903
  • OWNERS: 1883: D. F. Dorrance and John McCaffrey; 1890: Pilot Steamboat Company
  • OFFICERS & CREW: 1883: John McCaffrey (master); 1893: Captain Orrin Smith (master); 1894: Derben Dorrance (pilot); unknown dates: Frank Lacey (chief engineer) RIVERS: Mississippi River; Cumberland River; Ohio River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - 4503 & T2051; She was built as a rafter and used primarily as a bow boat. She ran the Davenport-Clinton trade occasionally. After 1900 she made trips from Nashville-Burnside on the Cumberland River. She did short trades on the lower Ohio. In late 1903 she was rebuilt by Captain Charles McNutt and renamed the Peerless
  • PHOTO DESCRIPTION: Pilot on left; Consort on right. Passengers boarding barge and boat
  • Pilot (A)


Other title
  • Consort (Excursion barge)
Local identifier
  • Neg. 5777
For Staff