Newspaper picture of the bow end of the "Tacoma" class frigate U.S.S. "Manitowoc" on the ways above a decorated platform at the Globe Shipbuilding Company in Superior, Wisconsin before launching on November 30, 1943. A U.S. flag is draped around the bow. A hand-lettered name "Manitowoc" appears on the bow end of the frigate’s starboard side, probably imposed on the photograph for newspaper publication. Inset in the upper left is a small portrait picture of Mrs. Mary Georgenson, wife of Manitowoc’s mayor, Martin Georgenson. Mary Georgenson served as the ship’s sponsor and christened it with the traditional bottle of champagne. The frigate was named to honor Manitowoc, Wisconsin for the city’s part in the war effort. A number of Manitowoc officials traveled to Superior for the launching ceremony. Construction and testing continued in Superior for about a year, after which the frigate departed for service, with a brief stop in Manitowoc on October 3, 1944. Later, the U.S.S. Manitowoc was converted for service as a weather patrol ship. During the last year of World War II she made several weather patrols in the North Atlantic, and then served as an air-sea rescue ship. She was sold to France in 1947, and was scrapped in 1958. This picture was published in the November 30, 1943 Manitowoc Herald Times along with a brief article. Additional information and pictures were published in the newspaper on December 2, 1943.