Ratified treaty no. 96, Documents relating to the negotiation of the treaty of August 24, 1818, with the Quapaw Indians
August 24, 1818
Washington, D.C.: National Archives, National Archives and Records Service
1. Sec. of War to Treaty Comrs., May 27, 1816, re negotiations with Osage, Cherokee, and Quapaw. (IA, LS, vol. C, p. 362-364)
2. Sec. of War to Wm. Clard, July 11, 1817, including statement that plans for negotiation with Quapaw were postponed pending outcome of talks with Cherokee. (IA, LS, vol. D, p. 55-56)
3. Wm. Clark to Sec. of War, Feb. 6, 1818, requesting specific instructions re possible negotiations for extinguishing Quapaw claims to lands south of Arkansas River.*
4. Instructions, May 8, 1818. (IA, LS, vol. D, p. 155-156)
5. Wm. Clark and Auguste Chouteau to Sec. of War, Sept. 6, 1818, transmitting treaty. (3 p.)*
6. Wm. Clark to Sec. of WAr, Oct. 1818, forwarding treaty held with Osage, together with Cherokee-Osage treaty (unratified), which includes statement re Quapaw treaty. (IA, LR, 1818) See also items under Treaty of July 18, 1815, with Potawatomi.
Note: Amap of the cession provided by this treaty appears in the Indian Treaty File, Treaty No. 96 (RG 11).