Visual display of the Monongahela (Towboat, 1927-1955)

Monongahela (Towboat, 1927-1955)

  • BOAT DESCRIPTION: Sternwheel
  • BOAT TYPE: Towboat
  • BUILT: 1926 or 1927 at Ambridge, Pennsylvania by the American Bridge Company (hull); completed at Coal Valley, Pennsylvania
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Retired in 1955, then sold to the McDonough Construction Company in 1957 and partially dismantled after which she was sold to a South American firm. During delivery, she broke away from the tug and was beached on the shore of Cuba
  • OWNERS: Carnegie Steel Company; Ohio Barge Line Company (1941)
  • OFFICERS & CREW: Captain John A. Hottell (master, 1927); William Timmons (pilot, 1927); William Herd (chief engineer, 1927); Ed German (2nd engineer, 1927); Rolla Rodgers (mate, 1927); Captain Henry E. Holloway (pilot); Captain Ross Rogers, Jr. (pilot)
  • RIVERS: Ohio River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - T1862; Launched on October 15, 1926. She was a sister boat to the City of Pittsburgh. Her pitmans were named "Col. Charles A. Lindbergh" and "Spirit of St. Louis". Completely rebuilt at Dravos in the winter of 1945-46 receiving a new hull and being converted from coal burner to fuel oil. Her next to last trip, with Captain Ross Rogers, Jr. as pilot, was Pittsburgh-New Orleans. When she was dismantled, her pilotwheel was donated to the Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen and was exhibited at the Ohio River Museum in Marietta, Ohio
  • Monongahela (A)

Details

Collection
Subjects
Local identifier
  • Neg. 43222
For Staff