Visual display of the Castalia (Towboat, 1892-1927)

Castalia (Towboat, 1892-1927)

  • BOAT DESCRIPTION: Sternwheel
  • BOAT TYPE: Towboat
  • BUILT: 1892, Sioux City, Iowa
  • BECAME: Renamed the Eugenia Woods in 1927
  • OWNERS: 1892: Four Swedes with a packet line between Bismarck, North Dakota and Fort Yates, South Dakota; 1897? B.S. Holmes and others; 1902? Myron H. Sherman and Captain R.A. Talbot; ? Ayer and Lord Tie Company, Paducah; 1914? The Hartwegs, Cincinnati; 1918? Carrollton Coal Company; 1918: John F. Klein; Fall, 1918: McClain Sand Company, Point Marion, Pennsylvania; January 1920: Woods Brothers Construction Company , Lincoln, Nebraska
  • OFFICERS & CREW: 1892: Captain Nels Todd (pilot) and O. Strum (chief); 1905: Captain A.A. Jacobs (master); 1922: Captain William Helkman (pilot)
  • RIVERS: Missouri River; Ohio River; Kentucky River; Monongahela River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - T0359; This boat was built to carry Army supplies between Bismarck, North Dakota and Fort Yates, South Dakota. William L. "Steamboat Bill" Heckman indicated she was owned by four Swedes. They had a packet line between Sioux City and Porter's Landing, a distance of 450 miles. On November 7, 1897 she struck a piling below the Sioux City bridge and sank. She was back on the Missouri River in 1902 acting as a ferry boat at South Omaha. Shortly after this, she was a tie towboat at Paducah. In 1918 she transferred base of operations to the upper Monongahela River and later returned to the Missouri River. She was only 110 feet long
  • PHOTO DESCRIPTION: The Castalia moored at Cincinnati Ohio; railroad ties in foreground
  • Castalia (A)

Details

Collection
Subjects
Local identifier
  • Neg. 27914
For Staff