This view looking toward the southeast shows the new Armory building under construction in Manitowoc, Wisconsin in April, 1939. Within the central space bounded by partially built outer brick walls are piles of old paving bricks that had been removed from Eighth Street in Manitowoc for re-use in the Armory walls. About 230,000 bricks were recycled for this project. The Armory/exposition building, located at 930 North 18th Street on the Manitowoc County Fair Grounds, was built in 1939 as a WPA project. It provided office and exhibit space for the fair as well as offices, storage, and drill space for the local National Guard unit, Company E, 127th Infantry. The Armory was the site of many special events during World War II. This picture was published in the Manitowoc Herald-Times, April 15, 1939. The north-south street behind the low white fairgrounds building in the center is North 18th Street. In the upper right is New York Avenue, which intersects with North 18th near the smaller white building.