BUILT: 1896 at Elizabeth, Pennsylvania at the Wiegel yard
FINAL DISPOSITION: Dismantled in 1932
OWNERS: Moren Coal Company; Advance Coal Company (1899); Combine (1900); Barrett Line (1917); Sugar Products Company (1919); Lent Traffic Company; Standard Oil of Louisiana (1925)
OFFICERS & CREW: Captain James Moren (master, 1895); Captain Thomas Moren (master, 1910)
RIVERS: Kanawha River, Ohio River, Mississippi River
OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - T1334; She was built in 40 working days which was a record for a boat of this size and class. She took her initial trip of coal from Pittsburgh on Christmas Day, 1895. After she became part of the Combine, she had her only sinking on January 29, 1910 while she was upbound with an empty tow of barges at Lock 5 on the Ohio River. She collided with the outside wall of the lock at Freedom, Pennsylvania and sank but was immediately raised and repaired. The estimated cost of the damage was $1000. She continued towing coal until the fall of 1915 when she was sent to the boneyard. In June 1917, she began working again towing coal south from the Kanawha River assisted by the Tom Dodsworth. In 1922, after being sold to the Lent Traffic Company she was rebuilt at the Paducah marine ways. In August 1925, she made her first trip for Standard Oil between Grand Lake, Arkansas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Standard Oil gave her a new set of engines. After she was dismantled, these engines went to the Amos K. Gordon. In the James Moren's coal-towing days, she was known as "Irish Jim" and while working for Standard Oil, she was known as "Sugar Jim"
PHOTO DESCRIPTION: From right to left: James Moren, Sam Brown, Charles Brown, W. W. O'Neil