Visual display of the Lily (Lighthouse tender, 1875-1911)

Lily (Lighthouse tender, 1875-1911)

  • BOAT TYPE: Lighthouse tender
  • BUILT: 1875 at Louisville, Kentucky
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Snagged near St. Albans, Missouri, mile 49 on the Missouri River at the head of Centaur Chute; was lost on November 24, 1911
  • OWNERS: U.S. Engineering Department
  • OFFICERS & CREW: Captain Owen B. Jolly (1875); Captain William R. Hoel (1875); Captain George Vandergrift (1885); Captain Charles Dufour; Captain William Eagon (master); Campbell Hunt (pilot, 1910, 1911); M.H. Crapster (master, 1892); William C. Egan (chief engineer); Dick Stevens (pilot); J.H. Duffer (commander, 1888); Jim Carrew (pilot, 1894); George Farnsworth (pilot, 1894); A.B.H. Lily (commander, 1894); James W. Swayze (commander, 1891); Robert W. Wise (commander, 1894); Washington P. Hight (1897); Richard Stevens (pilot, 1895); Mayo Dorsey (pilot, 1897); John Clark (pilot, 1897)
  • RIVERS: Mississippi River; Ohio River; Missouri River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - 3471; Began in service on the Ohio River. In 1888, she burned off her upper works and was completely rebuilt with a new hull and texas. The old hull became a wharfboat at Madison, Indiana. After being rebuilt, the Lily went to the upper Mississippi and Missouri rivers. On October 17, 1911 she snagged near Wellington, Missouri. About one month later, she snagged again near St. Albans, Missouri and was lost. She was the first lighthouse tender on the upper Mississippi. She serviced beacon light buoys between St. Paul, Stillwater and the St. Croix River and St. Louis for many years. She was also the guard boat for the President's fleet
  • PHOTO DESCRIPTION: The Lily at shore in Iowa next to train cars sitting on the railroad tracks. In the background is the powerhouse cofferdam
  • Lily (A)


Local identifier
  • Neg. 13714
For Staff