Stoneware crock, Louis M. Pierron, Milwaukee, 1886-1935. Cylindrical salt-glazed stoneware crock with rolled rim and two applied lug handles. Interior coated with dark brown slip.
Maker's mark impressed in oval near base: "Manufactured/ by/ L.M. Pierron/ Milwaukee, Wis."; four-gallon capacity mark stenciled in cobalt blue glaze near rim
In 1856, Swiss immigrant Charles Hermann established the largest and longest-lived stoneware manufactory in the city. In 1882, Hermann entered a partnership with his stepson Louis M. Pierron, who became sole owner of the company in 1886. That same year, the pottery's 25 workers used clay shipped from Ohio to turn out approximately 500,000 gallons of utilitarian stoneware, including bottles, crocks and jugs. The company was officially incorporated as the Pierron Pottery in 1902 and closed its doors in 1935.
Robert G. Carroon, "The Pottery Industry in 19th Century Milwaukee" Historical Messenger of the Milwaukee County Historical Society 26, no. 1 (1970); Marion Bruhn, "Milwaukee Stoneware-The Elusive Pottery" Ohio Antique Review (June 1979), p. 74-75; Kenneth Dearolf, Wisconsin Folk Pottery in the Collection of the Kenosha Public Museum (1986)