Visual display of the Admiral Dewey (Towboat, Packet, 1898-1918)

Admiral Dewey (Towboat, Packet, 1898-1918)

  • BOAT DESCRIPTION: Sternwheel
  • BOAT TYPE: Towboat; Packet
  • BUILT: 1898 at West Brownsville, Pennsylvania at Axton yard
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Sank February 12, 1918 at Apple Grove, Ohio just below old Lock and Dam 23, Ohio River
  • OWNERS: Captain T. J. Hudson and Captain W. H. Hudson (1906-1912); John W. Hubbard 1912; Captain Lewis Tanner January 1914; John Donald of Ripley, Ohio, summer 1914; Spangler-Chalfant Company, Pittsburgh, December 1917
  • OFFICERS & CREW: George A. Stuart (Pilot circa 1910); Michael B. Davis (Captain, 1913); Ed Simms (Pilot, 1913); John G. Britton (Captain, December 1917)
  • RIVERS:Allegheny River, Ohio River, Muskingum River, Monongahela River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - 0072;T0047; Engines were from the sandigger George R. Ford; boilers from the Harry D. Knox. Came out in Monongahela River trade, Pittsburgh-Brownsville, then extended to Morgantown, Captain John Britton. By 1906 had been through a U.S. marshal sale and went to the Allegheny River owned by Thomas J. and William K. Hudson. Did quite a bit of work on the Allegheny River, once ascending to Emlenton, Pennsylvania on a contract job, piloted by George A. Stuart circa 1910. John W. Hubbard, Pittsburgh, bought her October 21, 1912 and ran her briefly as a packet Pittsburgh-Parkersburg. Principally noted for her "Flood Relief Trip" in spring, 1913 when, loaded with donated supplies, she was sent from Pittsburgh to alleviate distress along the Muskingum River (see details in the March 1970 issue, S&D Reflector). Captain Michael B. Davis commanded, Ed Sims (Simms?), pilot. On this trip she was equipped with a wireless telegraphy set manned by three Carnegie Tech students, probably the first instance on inland rivers. Hubbard sold her January 6, 1914 to Captain Lewis Tanner who converted her to towing, and handled a railroad transfer barge at Ashland, Kentucky. Captain Tanner sold her in June 1914 to Captain John Donald, Ripley, Ohio. The Spang-Chalfant Company, Pittsburgh, bought her December 1917 and sent Captain John G. Britton down to bring her up. She was caught in ice at Apple Grove, Ohio, just below old Lock and Dam 23, Ohio River and demolished February 12, 1918
  • PHOTO DESCRIPTION: Crew on board
  • Admiral Dewey (A)

Details

Collection
Subjects
Local identifier
  • Neg. 35263
For Staff