Visual display of the Bertha (Towboat, 1894-1919)

Bertha (Towboat, 1894-1919)

  • BOAT DESCRIPTION: Sternwheel
  • BOAT TYPE: Towboat
  • BUILT: West Brownsville, Pennsylvania 1894
  • BECAME: Van
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Rebuilt and renamed Van 1919
  • OWNERS: Captain Marsh McDonald; Lysle Coal Company; Combine (1900); Great Southern Refining Company (1919)
  • RIVERS: Ohio River; Kanawha River; Monongahela River; Kentucky River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - T0240; Built at the Axton yard, West Brownsville, Pennsylvania 1894, out of the old H. E. Pierpoint; owned by Captain Marsh McDonald. She was traded to the Lysle Coal Company for the R. M. Blackburn and so found her way into the Combine in 1900. She carried a duplicate of the whistle made for the Urania. The Bertha was badly damaged by fire when the boatyard at Brown's Station on the Monongahela River burned in October 1904. Rebuilt, she towed out of Pittsburgh and later out of Kanawha River until sold in June 1919 to the Great Southern Refining Company on Kentucky River. They docked her at Paducah, rebuilt her and called her VAN. Paul Blazer, who later went on to build the Ashland Oil and Refining Company, was in charge of rebuilding her
  • Bertha (A)