In 1884, the people of Durand decided to build a bridge of wood and steel in place of the ferry. It was built by J. Leonard of Durand and W. Smith of Eau Claire in 1885. The city decided to charge a small toll in order to pay for the cost of the construction. This bridge lasted until September 21, 1906 (21 years) when a disastrous wind storm blew the bridge off its foundation.
From 1878 until about 1895, steamboat Captain Phil Scheckel traveled daily from his home in Waubeek through Durand and up and down the Chippewa River. Steamboat service on the Chippewa was an important business until the mid-1890s.