In this view from a rooftop or upper story window, people line both sides of the street to watch uniformed marching units parading east on Washington Street in Manitowoc, Wisconsin on Sunday afternoon, June 2, 1940. In the foreground is a sign for the Danish Dairy confectionery at 1110 Washington. Farther up the street is the Boriss Furniture Company at 1016-1018 Washington. Displayed from street light poles along the route are banners lettered “Manitowoc welcomes you.” The parade, featuring about 15,000 marching men and 27 bands, was part of a diocesan Holy Name Society rally that also included an outdoor mass and “speaking program” at the fairgrounds. The crowd of more than 20,000 participants and spectators from Catholic parishes around northeastern Wisconsin was reported to be the largest ever assembled in Manitowoc for a single event. Six special trains brought delegations from as far away as Stevens Point and Marinette, while a “cavalcade” of more than 200 cars from Green Bay was escorted from the Brown County line into the city by Manitowoc County motorcycles. Holy Name Society rallies were held in the diocese every three years to “promote clean speech and Christian living.” Speakers at the 1940 Manitowoc rally talked about the war under way in Europe and urged “patriotic loyalty” and vigilance. Displaying some sixty American flags, and with an official military escort provided by the St. Norbert’s College R.O.T.C. unit, this 1940 parade foreshadowed many military parades that would be held in Manitowoc during World War II.