Navy building on the grounds of the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The Navy's Supervisor of Shipbuilding and his staff of about thirty office personnel worked here while overseeing a contract under which the company built submarines for the U.S. Navy during World War II. The building also had office and storage space for submarine officers who came to Manitowoc for preparation and training as their submarines were being built. There was room for key personnel of four submarines at a time; when one submarine was commissioned its people moved out and staff from the next one came in. This building was constructed in record time. Bids were opened on January 8, 1941, and staff moved in a month later on February 8. On a sign over the entry door is the shipyards' slogan, "Uncle Wants His Boats," which had been proposed by Lieutenant Commander G. C. Weaver, Supervisor of Shipbuilding, when he arrived in Manitowoc in September, 1940. In this view which looks southeast, the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company's administration building is visible behind the Navy building, on the left. In the distance on the right is the large Grain Elevator "A." The light dusting of snow on the ground suggests that this picture was taken on or around the time that the Navy building was completed in February 1941.