In this photograph taken November 22, 1940, eight members of the Manitowoc American Legion stand in front of steps at the Manitowoc County Courthouse, located at the southwest corner of Washington and South Eighth Streets in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Behind them are the first six volunteers from Manitowoc County to depart Manitowoc for the new "selective service army." Farther back on the steps, three men wearing hats are probably members of the District 1 Draft Board. The volunteers, who ranged in age from 21 to 34, were Andrew McKee and Dewane Driedric from Manitowoc, Edward Gauthier from Manitowoc Rapids, Matt Korinek and Harold Terry from Two Rivers, and Harold Koch from rural Two Rivers. They gathered at the Court House shortly after 7:00 a.m. on the morning after Thanksgiving and marched from there to the North Western Depot, escorted by the Legionnaires. Shortly after 8:00 a.m. they left by train for Milwaukee, and from there they would go on to Fort Sheridan, Illinois for a year of training. Among the Legionnaires are Bernard Simkins, Maurice H. DeWein (with American flag), Frank Tomcheck (with bass drum), Joseph Beerntsen (with American Legion flag), Trottwood Eckhart (behind Beerntsen), and Delton Hansen (far right). Written in ink on the back of this photograph is an inscription: "Nov. 22, 1940. American Legion escort for the six volunteers leaving for Government training camps. These six made up Manitowoc's first contingent."