A pile of rubble forms during the tear down of the AMC/Chrysler lakefront plant in 1990. In 1988, Chrysler pulled out production of all but engines, which were produced at the main plant on 60th Street, and closed the lakefront plant, which had formerly been owned by Simmons.
In 1954, Nash-Kelvinator Corporation joined with Hudson Motor Car Company to create the American Motors Corporation. Due to the drop in oil prices in the 1980s, the demand for AMC products was reduced and buyers went with foreign models that were less expensive. From the lack of income, AMC went downhill financially and was bought out by the Chrysler Corporation in 1987.