Visual display of the E. R. Andrews (Towboat, 1894-1912)

E. R. Andrews (Towboat, 1894-1912)

  • BOAT DESCRIPTION: Sternwheel
  • BOAT TYPE: Packet
  • BUILT: Jeffersonville, Indiana at Howard Ship Yards, 1894
  • BECAME: Oscar F. Barrett
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Sold and renamed Oscar F. Barrett
  • OWNERS: Campbell's Creek Coal Company; Kanawha and Ohio Transportation Company; Barrett Line
  • OFFICERS & CREW: 1894: Captain E. A. Burnside (master), Roscoe Strother (pilot), William McGuffin (steersman), Arthur Austin (mate), Gus Butler (engineer), Homer Comstock (engineer)
  • RIVERS: Kanawha River; Ohio River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - T0659; Launched May 5, 1894; engines by Frisbie Engine and Machine Company, Cincinnati; original price $25,500; first boat of steel construction to call the Kanawha River its home. She came out with Ward, coil, water tube boilers, which were replaced in January, 1895 at New Albany with six Western style boilers. She left Jeffersonville August 15, 1894, and on about September 25, she departed Cincinnati for Point Pleasant, West Virginia, her home port, carrying as guests members of the Dana family and E. R. Andrews. This boat was the pride and joy of the Campbell's Creek Coal Company, and particularly of Captain E. A. Burnside, who came out master for her. She left Point Pleasant April, 1895 with Mr. and Mrs. S. F. Dana aboard. Captain Burnside put a wireless outfit on her, operated by his son Don, perhaps the first such installation on inland streams. She towed Kanawha River coal to Cincinnati and Louisville, once ascending with thirty-four empties all in one tow. In her sixteen years of operation, she never lost a man nor was anybody seriously injured on her. The Barrett Line bought her in 1912, and her name was changed to Oscar F. Barrett
  • PHOTO DESCRIPTION: E. R. Andrews in ice
  • E. R. Andrews (A)