UW–Madison Libraries Services during COVID–19

COVID–19 Library Dashboard
Get the latest information on the status of library spaces and services

Visual display of the Saint Paul (Packet/Excursion boat, 1883-1940)

Saint Paul (Packet/Excursion boat, 1883-1940)

  • BOAT TYPE: Packet/Excursion boat
  • BUILT: 1883 at St. Louis, Missouri
  • BECAME: Senator
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Rebuilt at Paducah in the winter of 1939-40 and renamed
  • OWNERS: St. Louis and St. Paul Packet Company; Streckfus Line (1911)
  • OFFICERS & CREW: Captain Charles Zeigler (master, 1886); W.H. Pritchat (1886); Oscar Moore (clerk, 1886); Captain Thomas W. Posey (pilot); Captain Ben Winters (circa 1917); Captain Oscar Olson (circa 1917); Captain Hilmar Lax (1937); Captain Edgar F. Mabrey (1938-39); Fred Way, Jr. (pilot, 1938-39); Captain Fred Hornbrook (pilot); William R. Tibbals (pilot, 1886-88); Captain John Killeen (master, 1894-95; 1903-04); T.L. Davidson (master, 1881); Jerry Wood (master, 1889); William Burke (master); S. Grinnell (clerk); Hiram Beadle (pilot, 1896); Albert Hill (pilot, 1896); Maurice Killeen (captain, 1908); Captain Joe Buisson (master, 1914); A.O. Day (master, 1916); Joseph M. Maloney (chief engineer, 1908); Captain Nathan Patterson (master, 1915); Martin Leonard (purser, 1914); Ben Winters (captain); Captain John Streckfus (1913); George Nichols (pilot, 1916); Campbell (?) Hunt (pilot, 1916)
  • RIVERS: Mississippi River; Ohio River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways - 4965; Her engines were from the Alex Mitchell. She ran St. Louis-St. Paul under the Diamond Jo banner for many years. In December 1886 she was chartered to Anchor Line and ran St. Louis-Vicksburg. She was rebuilt in 1892-94 by Diamond Jo and was on the ways at the Eagle yard in Dubuque for over a year. In 1903 she was rebuilt at Dubuque. On August 27, 1909 she collided with a moored barge while she was making a landing at Fountain City, Wisconsin. A hole was created in the hull about 2 feet above the water line. Damage was estimated at $100. From 1911-1917 she continued in the St. Paul trade under Streckfus Line ownership. In 1917 she was rebuilt into an excursion boat for St. Louis. She went to Pittsburgh in the summer of 1937 and ran Ohio River excursions based in Pittsburgh from 1938-39
  • PHOTO DESCRIPTION: Passengers on the bow of the Saint Paul
  • Saint Paul (B)