Search the Catalog
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Creator edited by Norman Gross ; foreword by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor
- Format Books
- Publication Evanston, Ill. : Northwestern University Press ; Chicago, Ill. : ABA Museum of Law, 2004.
- xix, 344 p. : ill., ports. (some col.) ; 27 cm
- ISBNs 9780810112186, 0810112183
- OCLC ocm54544122
Includes bibliographical references (p. -334) and index.
- Founding fathers and sons. Law in colonial America / Lawrence M. Friedman ; John Adams : patriot lawyer / L. Kinvin Wroth ; Thomas Jefferson: legal wordsmith / David T. Konig ; James Monore: occasional lawyer / Daniel Preston ; John Quincy Adams: eloquent advocate / Howard Jones -- Antebellum presidents. Law in antebellum America / Lawrence M. Friedman ; Andrew Jackson: frontier justice / David S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler ; Martin van Buren: boy lawyer / James A. Henretta -- John Tyler: Virginia counsel / E. Lee Shepard -- James K. Polk: sometime lawyer / Robert W. Johannsen ; Millard Fillmore: lawyer mentor / Elbert B. Smith ; Franklin Pierce: courtroom orator / Christopher M. Johnson ; James Buchanan: strict constructionist / Jean H. Baker -- Lawyer Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln: prairie lawyer / Paul Finkelman ; Selected cases of A. Lincoln, esq., attorney and counsellor-at-law / John A. Lupton ; Lincoln's Notes for a law lecture -- Gilded age presidents. Law in the gilded age / Lawrence M. Friedman ; Rutherford B. Hayes: volunteer counsel / Ari Hoogenboom ; James A. Garfield: Supreme Court counsel / Allan Peskin ; Chester A. Arthur: war crimes lawyer / Thomas C. Reeves ; Grover Cleveland: an honest lawyer / Eugene C. Gerhart -- Benjamin Harrison: high-priced counsel / Allen Sharp ; William McKinley: a good lawyer / Lewis L. Could -- New century presidents. Law in the new century / Lawrence M. Friedman ; William Howard Taft: Mr. Chief Justice / Melvyn Dubofsky -- Woodrow Wilson: reluctant lawyer / Melvin I. Urofsky ; Calvin Coolidge: country lawyer / Russell Fowler ; Franklin Delano Roosevelt: contrarian counselor / Jerome J. Shestack -- The modern presidency. Law in modern America / Lawrence M. Friedman ; Richard M. Nixon: biocoastal practitioner / Irwin F. Gellman ; Gerald R. Ford: all-American counsel / David Horrocks ; William Jefferson Clinton: political lawyer / David H. Bennett -- Presidential appointments: Supreme Court Justices and chief government lawyers. Lawyer-presidents and their Supreme Court appointments / Barbara A. Perry ; Supreme Court appointments ; Lawyer-presidents and their attorneys (general) / Cornell W. Clayton ; Attorneys general appointments ; Solicitors general appointments
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Item Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.