Image and memory : photography from Latin America, 1866-1994 : FotoFest
Save to your list
- FotoFest 1992 (1992 : Houston, Tex.)
edited by Wendy Watriss, Lois Parkinson Zamora
First edition. Austin, Tex. : University of Texas Press, 1998.
- xi, 450 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 27 x 28 cm
0292791186, 9780292791183, 0892633204, 9780892633203
- FotoFest 1992, a major festival of international photography in Houston, brought Latin American photography into focus for a wide public audience. Offering a diverse selection of photographers, countries, artistic movements, and subject matter, the shows revealed a photographic tradition rich in both history and creativity. Drawing from the more than 1,000 images exhibited by FotoFest, this book documents the work of fifty photographers from ten countries. The photographs range from the opening of the Brazilian frontier in the 1880s to documentary images from El Salvador's 1980-1992 civil war to works of specifically aesthetic and experimental intent. Many of the photographs appear here in print for the first time. Wendy Watriss's opening essay provides the curatorial overview for the book in her essay. Lois Parkinson Zamora examines some of the roots of visual imagery in Latin American cultures. An essay by Boris Kossoy addresses the history of Latin American photography in the nineteenth century, delving into the social iconography that evolved from the mingling of indigenous and European traditions. Fernando Castro covers the contemporary scene and the debate over "artistic" versus documentary work. An extensive bibliography by Marta Sanchez Philippe and artist biographies conclude the book.
- "Published in association with FotoFest, Inc."
- "Series of exhibitions for FotoFest 1992"--P. 3.
- English and Spanish.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 377-409) and index.
Related Electronic Resources
- Image and memory: photography from Latin America, 1866-1994 / Wendy Watriss -- Photography in nineteenth-century Latin America: the European experience and the exotic experience / Boris Kossoy -- Crossover dreams: remarks on contemporary Latin American photography / Fernando Castro -- Quetzalcóatl's mirror: reflections on the photographic image in Latin America / Lois Parkinson Zamora
- Shortcut help message
- Highlight search box
- Close dialog
Available in search results
- Next page
- Previous page
- Toggle filters
- Open nth result on page