Search the Catalog
Kirk Douglas papers, 1945-1978Login to Save
SubjectsA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
- Bryna Productions.
- Bad and the beautiful (Motion picture)
- Big sky (Motion picture)
- Champion (Motion picture)
- Escape (Radio program)
- Glass menagerie (Motion picture)
- Gunfight at the OK Corral (Motion picture)
- Letter to three wives (Motion picture)
- Lust for life (Motion picture)
- One flew over the cuckoo's nest (Motion picture)
- Prudential family hour of stars (Radio program)
- Scalawag (Motion picture)
- Seven days in May (Motion picture)
- Spartacus (Motion picture)
- Strangers when we meet (Motion picture)
- Suspense (Radio program)
- Tales of the Vikings (Television program)
- 20,000 leagues under the sea (Motion picture : 1954)
- Ulysses (Motion picture)
- Vikings (Motion picture)
- Advertising -- Motion pictures.
- Motion picture actors and actresses.
- Motion pictures -- Distribution.
- Motion pictures -- Production and direction.
Content TypesA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Format Mixed Materials; Videos, Slides, Films
- 59.8 c.f. (8 archives boxes, 55 record center cartons, 4 flat boxes); plus
- additions of 2.2 c.f. and
- 2 films
- OCLC ocn173704747, ocn173692506
- Register to the processed portion
- Papers of a prominent motion picture actor, together with the records of his company, Bryna Productions. Although Douglas also worked as a stage actor during the early years of his career, motion picture files form the most extensive portion of the collection. Of the motion pictures, the early films are represented only by scripts, but after 1952, coverage becomes more comprehensive, and the files include correspondence, contracts, financial papers, scripts, and photographs. The records of Bryna Productions include the above materials, as well as production, promotion, and distribution information.
- Among the many films with which Douglas was involved as actor and/or producer are "The Bad and the Beautiful" (MGM, 1952), "The Big Sky" (RKO, 1952), "Champion" (UA, 1949), "The Glass Menagerie" (Warner Bros., 1950), "Gunfight at the OK Corral" (Para., 1957), "Letter to Three Wives" (20th Century-Fox, 1948), "Lust for Life" (MGM, 1956), "Scalawag" (Bryna, 1973), "Seven Days in May" (Joel Productions, 1964), "Spartacus" (Universal, 1960), "Strangers When We Meet" (Col., 1960), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (Disney, 1954), "Ulysses" (Para., 1955), and "The Vikings" (UA, 1958).
- There are also files on unproduced titles; Bryna's involvement in television programming, most notably in "Tales of the Vikings" (Syndicated); and Douglas' broadcast appearances on such radio programs as "Escape," "Prudential Family Hour of Stars," and "Suspense" (all CBS). Of interest in the theater files are papers on "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in which Douglas starred on Broadway. There are also eight boxes of general correspondence, 1948-1968, containing business, personal, and fan mail, and four boxes of general financial records.
- The processed portion is summarized above and is described in the register. Additional accessions date 1955-1978 and are described below.
- Placed on deposit by Kirk Douglas, Beverly Hills, California, 1969-1981.
Related Electronic Resources
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.