Wisconsin Society for Jewish Learning records, 1954-2012

Wisconsin Society for Jewish Learning

Publication Details Click to collapse Cite/Export

  • Format Mixed Materials; Photos, Drawings, Prints; Sound Recordings; Videos, Slides, Films
  • Physical Details
    • 31.6 c.f. (29 record center cartons and 6 archives boxes)
    • 15 photographs
    • 74 tape recordings, and
    • 13 videorecordings
  • OCLC ocn173712332, ocn173700405
  • Finding Aids
    • Register

Restrictions

  • COLLECTION, IN-PART, STORED AT ARC: Collection may be available for transfer through the Area Research Center (ARC) Network, consult Reading Room Staff.

Summary

  • Records of an organization formed in 1954 to promote the study of Jewish history and culture. Included are correspondence, minutes, membership lists, publications, publicity materials, Scholarship Committee material, clippings, and tape-recorded interviews with five past presidents. The records document the role of the WSJL in establishing departments of Hebrew Studies at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and Milwaukee in 1955 and 1961 respectively, and in founding the Wisconsin Jewish Archives at the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Also documented are ongoing activities and projects such as lectures and research, fundraising, scholarships, awards, and the Wisconsin Small Jewish Communities Project, an oral history project promoting an awareness of the Jewish population throughout Wisconsin.

Notes

  • Forms part of the Wisconsin Jewish Archives.
  • Presented by the Wisconsin Society for Jewish Learning, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1962-1985.
Checking the Web...