Records of a lumber mill located in northwestern Marinette County, Wis. built in 1908 to salvage several million board feet of white pine killed and damaged by a fire. After the depletion of white pine stock, the company began harvesting hardwoods using the clearcut method, but in 1927, with the prospect of the end of operation, switched to selective cutting and sustained yield practices. The records, which appear to be the files of general manager George A. Houghton, Jr., document these changes in management philosophy under the leadership of owner Robert B. Goodman. Also documented are labor relations, markets, the effect of government policies and regulation, the building of the mill town (Goodman, Wis.) and its relationship with the company, and personal information about Robert Goodman, his brother Charles, and other members of the Goodman family. The company was sold to Calumet & Hecla, Inc. in 1955.
Correspondence files include letters and internal memoranda, many between R. B. Goodman and Houghton. General files include financial statements, organization charts, and inventories of property and equipment. In addition, there are numerous writings by R. B. Goodman and other publications about the forest products industry; clippings and ephemera relating to the Goodmans, to Houghton, and to the town of Goodman following its fortunes into the 1980s; and photographs which largely document building the mill and the town, including images of workers and their dwellings.