Search the Catalog
SubjectsA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Creator edited by Fintan Vallely ; with key contributions by Liz Doherty ...[et.al.]
- Format Books
- Publication Second edition, substantially revised and expanded. Cork : Cork University Press, 2011.
- xxii, 832 pages : illustrations, map., music ; 26 cm
- ISBNs 9781859184509, 1859184502
- OCLC ocn772584731
- This extraordinary encyclopedia covers the people, instruments, styles, repertoires and regions of past and present Irish traditional music, song and dance. Half a million words and several hundred images present facts, ideas and terminology, explore aesthetics and ideology, and document teaching, learning, study and performance.
- The immense volume of biography, history and opinion is diverse yet comprehensive. It is drawn from the collective expertise of some 200 specialists who in A - Z format deal with all instruments and playing styles, repertoires, people, performance and transmission, media and professionalism, ideology, awards, standards and competition. They broaden the picture to take in the musics of Scotland and England, migration to Britain and the USA, the exhilarating new internationalism and music tourism.
- Uniquely too, The Companion carries extensive data on Irish traditional music as it is played in all counties of the island of Ireland, as well as in Britain, Scotland, the USA and the major European countries. This marks the book as a compendium of not only what is being done and by whom, but also of where it is happening and in what way. A detailed time-line charts the history of music events, initiative and publications as prompted by and interwoven with history, and, a categorized bibliography carries easy reference for all forms of enquiry.
- These pages lay out the canon of traditional music in Ireland as assembled by its significant performers, teachers and collectors, composers and arrangers, commentators, promoters, and audiences. It is an essential asset and a core reference for all research and further study in Irish studies, Irish music and ethnomusicology. --Book Jacket.
- Previous ed.: 1999.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 769-800) and index.
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.