Search the Catalog
Content TypesA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Creator Ken Jennings
- Format Books
- Publication First Scribner hardcover edition. New York : Scribner, 2011.
- 276 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
- ISBNs 9781439167175, 1439167176
- OCLC ocn687665983
- It comes as no surprise that, as a kid, Jeopardy! legend Ken Jennings slept with a bulky Hammond world atlas by his pillow every night. Maphead recounts his lifelong love affair with geography and explores why maps have always been so fascinating to him and to fellow enthusiasts everywhere. Jennings takes readers on a world tour of geogeeks, from the London Map Fair to the computer programmers at Google Earth. Each chapter delves into a different aspect of map culture: highpointing, geocaching, road atlas rallying, even the "unreal estate" charted on the maps of fiction and fantasy. He also considers the ways in which cartography has shaped our history, suggesting that the impulse to make and read maps is as relevant today as it has ever been.--From publisher description.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Eccentricity -- Bearing -- Fault -- Benchmarks -- Elevation -- Legend -- Reckoning -- Meander -- Transit -- Overedge -- Frontier -- Relief
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.