Search the Catalog
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Creator Ken Jennings
- Format Books
- Publication 1st Scribner hardcover ed. New York : Scribner, 2011.
- Physical Details 276 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm
- ISBNs 9781439167175, 1439167176
- OCLC ocn687665983
- It comes as no surprise that, as a kid, Jeopardy! legend Ken Jennings slept with a bulky Hammond world atlas by his pillow every night. Maphead recounts his lifelong love affair with geography and explores why maps have always been so fascinating to him and to fellow enthusiasts everywhere. Jennings takes readers on a world tour of geogeeks, from the London Map Fair to the computer programmers at Google Earth. Each chapter delves into a different aspect of map culture: highpointing, geocaching, road atlas rallying, even the "unreal estate" charted on the maps of fiction and fantasy. He also considers the ways in which cartography has shaped our history, suggesting that the impulse to make and read maps is as relevant today as it has ever been.--From publisher description
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Eccentricity -- Bearing -- Fault -- Benchmarks -- Elevation -- Legend -- Reckoning -- Meander -- Transit -- Overedge -- Frontier -- Relief
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Item Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.