Search the Catalog
Insect hydrocarbons : biology, biochemistry, and chemical ecologyLogin to Save
SubjectsA limited number of items are shown. Click to view More
Publication Details Cite/Export
- Creator [edited by] Gary J. Blomquist, Anne-Geneviève Bagnères
- Format Books
- Publication Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- xi, 492 pages : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm
- ISBNs 9780521898140, 0521898145
- OCLC ocn457765138
- "A unique and critical analysis of the wealth of research conducted on the biology, biochemistry and chemical ecology of the rapidly growing field of insect cuticular hydrocarbons. Authored by leading experts in their respective fields, the twenty chapters show the complexity that has been discovered in the nature and role of hydrocarbons in entomology. Covers, in great depth, aspects of chemistry (structures, qualitative and quantitative analysis), biochemistry (biosynthesis, molecular biology, genetics, evolution), physiology, taxonomy, and ecology. Clearly presents to the reader the array of data, ideas, insights and historical disagreements that have been accumulated during the past half century. An emphasis is placed on the role of insect hydrocarbons in chemical communication, especially among the social insects. Includes the first review on the chemical synthesis of insect hydrocarbons. The material presented is a major resource for current researchers and a source of ideas for new researchers"--Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Related Electronic Resources
- Introduction : history and overview of insect hydrocarbons / Gary J. Blomquist and Anne-Geneviève Bagnères -- Structure and analysis of insect hydrocarbons / Gary J. Blomquist -- Biosynthesis of cuticular hydrocarbons / Gary J. Blomquist -- Molecular biology and genetics of hydrocarbon production / Claude Wicker-Thomas and Thomas Chertemps -- Site of synthesis, mechanism of transport and selective deposition of hydrocarbons / Anne-Geneviève Bagnères and Gary J. Blomquist -- Cuticular lipids and water balance / Allen G. Gibbs and Subhash Rajpurohit -- Chemical taxonomy with hydrocarbons / Anne-Geneviève Bagnères and Claude Wicker-Thomas -- Chemical synthesis of insect cuticular hydrocarbons / Jocelyn G. Millar -- Oxygenated derivatives of hydrocarbons / James S. Buckner -- Perception and olfaction of cuticular compounds / Mamiko Ozaki and Ayako Wada-Katsumata -- Nestmate recognition in social insects and the role of hydrocarbons / Jelle S. van Zweden and Patrizia d'Ettorre -- Cuticular hydrocarbon cues in the formation and maintenance of insect social groups / Michael Greene -- Hydrocarbon profiles indicate fertility and dominance status in ant, bee, and wasp colonies / Jürgen Liebig -- Chemical deception/mimicry using cuticular hydrocarbons / Anne-Geneviève Bagnères and M. Cristina Lorenzi -- Behavioral and evolutionary roles of cuticular hydrocarbons in Diptera / Jean-François Ferveur and Matthew Cobb -- Contact recognition pheromones in spiders and scorpions / Marie Trabalon and Anne-Geneviève Bagnères -- Hydrocarbons as contact pheromones of longhorned beetles (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) / Matthew D. Ginzel -- Polyene hydrocarbons, epoxides, and related compounds as components of lepidopteran pheromone blends / Jocelyn Millar -- Volatile hydrocarbon pheromones from beetles / Robert J. Bartelt -- Future directions in hydrocarbon research / Abraham Hefetz, Claude Wicker-Thomas and Anne-Geneviève Bagnères
Library Staff DetailsStaff view
Checking Physical Availability...
Just a moment... Looking up availability.